Tuesday, January 18, 2011

47. Astro Coast

Astro Coast Astro Coast by Surfer Blood
My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars

I heard good things about this album and it often landed on top 50 lists for 2010. "Floating Vibes" has a slightly Weezer feel that I like. It's very California. So is "Swim", but for different reasons. "Swim" sounds a bit like an 80s anthem with a little South Beach, FL in the mix of it.

"Take It Easy" is fun. I see palm trees. I see sun. I see beaches. Do we have a theme here? Vocally, these guys like the echo effect. They also sound somewhat distant. It's a little less sophisticated than, say, Vampire Weekend, but somewhat similar insofar as the music is light and upbeat.

"Harmonix" is a bit more reflective and sounds a tad bit familiar. The guitars sing nicely and the melody is pleasant. "Neighbour Riffs" is probably one of the more catchy and sophisticated tracks, but it's also an entirely instrumental track. I kind of wish these guys would have put lyrics to this one and extended it. It would have made a kick-ass song.

Both "Jabronis" are simplistic and bright. "Catholic Pagans" reminds me a lot of Weezer, but it also has its own vibe. It's almost like a cross between Weezer and The Shins. I will say that this a great teen album. It has a lighthearted quality that I can imagine would attract that age group.

Overall, I think this album is a decent start for a group of young fellas coming together and making music. I do think they can turn it up on the next one and perhaps explore some more territory closer to the bone.



Track listing:

1. Floating Vibes
2. Swim
3. Take It Easy
4. Harmonix
5. Neighbour Riffs
6. Twin Peaks
7. Fast Jabroni
8. Slow Jabroni
9. Anchorage
10. Catholic Pagans

*******************************

Who are Surfer Blood?

No comments:

Post a Comment